Registration is FREE and takes seconds to complete!
Club-tC Members Receive:
? Advertisement Free Browsing
? Access to all tC Tech Articles
? Ability to post questions and comments
? Use of private message system
? Ability to share images
? Their own personal profile page
? More tC information then anywhere else

Cigarette Lighter Trouble.

Discussion in 'Interior Items' started by aarias298, Jan 3, 2012.

1. aarias298

aarias298 Member

Hello all, I do a lot of driving and I use several electronics which require this outlet for energy. The one im talking about is the lighter plug at the bottom of the center console. I recently noticed that when pulling out my devices that the outlet itself also pops out. Im worried that it will eventually break. Any help or suggestions on how to go about this. Just as a side note, the lighter itself that you would push in to heat and it pops out does not work and I have misplaced it. Any comments on any of the things i mentioned would be greatly appreciated. ill post a pic of the first issue. IMG00252-20111230-1316.jpg

2. CadenceScion

CadenceScion Moderator Staff Member

The internal part of the cigarette lighter/casing should push back in place. As far as the lighter itself not working, the coils that heat up may be broken or have failed, the wiring in behind the casing may have come unplugged, poor solder joint or poor wiring.

3. navylife59

navylife59 Super Moderator Staff Member

Ah, yes. The good ole cigar lighter now known as the 12VDC accessory port. :) It is not an unheard issue for the power plug of some items to tear out a 12VDC socket. I have seen it happen across all makes and models. Though very unlikely, the spade connector for the power plug's +12VDC can be disconnected if the plug protrudes out enough. Has the center console ever been removed to install something? If so, there's a chance the connector could have been semi dislodged.

4. connman429

connman429 Member

The most common fail for the heating elements is the internal clip that holds the spring until temperatures elevate. Does the lighter stay in when you push it, or pop right back out? If the socket still provides power to your accessories, the problem has to be with the element. Of course, it's really not that big a deal, unless you smoke in the car or use it to burn stray strings off your shirts. It's not uncommon to buy a used car that has no element.

On most cars, the socket is held in the dash by the two little tabs on the side. Try bending them out just a little.