Registration is FREE and takes seconds to complete!
Club-tC Members Receive:
? Advertisement Free Browsing
? Access to all tC Tech Articles
? Ability to post questions and comments
? Use of private message system
? Ability to share images
? Their own personal profile page
? More tC information then anywhere else

Engine dress up & Cleaning the Engine

Discussion in 'Appearance & Detailing' started by satyr1ne, Nov 29, 2007.

1. satyr1ne

satyr1ne New Member

ok i wanna what or some good engine dress up sites or kits out there you know hoses and stuff like that. and also cleaning the engine im not much of a show car dude but i would like to clean my engine to have my car ALL the way clean after i wash it. so what are some good stuff to use.

2. travis1041

travis1041 Member

Black Magic 2-in-1 Engine Shine is some of the best cleaner & detailer that i have found it is great.

3. satyr1ne

satyr1ne New Member

yeah?? nice would they have it at kregan or something??

4. ac3 b00gi3

ac3 b00gi3 Active Member

use it all the time .. GRRREAT !! :D

5. navylife59

navylife59 Super Moderator Staff Member

Samco Hoses and Mr Gasket Shadow Series SS braided lines and AN fittings. Also, Weapon R billet aluminum power steering and coolant reservoirs are good for show. Spray tire foam is quick and easy in the engine compartment.

6. ac3 b00gi3

ac3 b00gi3 Active Member

where are all these things sold ?? online or in autostores :confused:

7. travis1041

travis1041 Member

both online or parts store or everyones favorite wal mart

8. Nick06tC

Nick06tC Member

I have the coolank and steering tanks and a few other things.
    I think they dress it up VERY well. But I have more in store for under the hood. Just have to remove alt and do some powder coating and polishing.

90% of the products have been bought online.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. navylife59

Looking tight! Did you buy your WR tanks directly from them? I need a set for racing. I will be PC my alt as soon as I am finished doing the starter. The transmisson is next soon after.

10. Nick06tC

Nick06tC Member

No i didnt get them direct. They came off of clubsciontc.com. They used to have a store on their forum.

BUT, I dont reccomend them. Expspeccially for racing. I have issues with my power steering on sharp right hand turns. On the stock power steering it has tow chambers to keep the fluid from sloshing around. On the weapons rs, the force from a right turn wont allow the pickup to draw fluid. The pickup is at the extreme top, so you would have to fill it complete. Which you cant due to expansion of the fluid.

ANd the coolant tank doesnt have atube to draw fluids from the tank. S when you have over flow from the radiator it fills the tank but cant draw. I had to take a tube and spend hours trying to force it into the hole and to reach the bottoem.

They look good tho.

11. Nick06tC

Nick06tC Member

I will be modifying the power steering. I am going to install a screen inside to keep the fluid from sloshing around. I have autx or tracked the ride sinceI have installed them because of this issue.

12. travis1041

travis1041 Member

Looking good

13. navylife59

Another good idea, not thought out far enough. Can't beat 40% research and development.

14. ac3 b00gi3

ac3 b00gi3 Active Member

sweet Nick .. get a performance header :p
    unless your goin turbo :D

15. Nick06tC

Nick06tC Member

Very poorly thought out.

16. Nick06tC

Nick06tC Member

I have considered it. But the minimal gains when compared to the loses are to much for me.

It will make getting warranty work done, much harder. (i am on my second supercharger).
    It will make the exhuast sound like crap.
    It will make the car non street legal. And in VA they are strict.

And I will be going turbo at some point in time.

Just not worth it for 5-6hp.

17. aarias298

aarias298 Member

I been wanting to clean my engine compartment. Since i've had the car i haven't cleaned the engine which is like two years. I live in NY, and with that last winter storm we had this past winter there was a lot of salt that was thrown down on the roads. I want to know what i use to clean the whole entire engine compartment. Do i need to disconnect the battery?..Do i need to cover the alternator?...Anything else i should cover?...What would you guys recommend to use as the agent to break down all the dirt.

18. navylife59

You don't need to cover up anything unless you have a SRI. Road salts probably have white desposits (rust) built up on engine block and transmission. Aluminum mag cleaner can help with this but the spray can not get on plastics or paint. Always thoroughly read instructions before use. A good seay tire cleaner is a great alternative to caustic soaps/cleaners. It is safe to spray on everything and might be all you need to get most of the crud off at the carwash. Be careful not to spray too close into your front grille with high pressure or you could fataly damage your A/C condensor or radiator.

19. CadenceScion

CadenceScion Moderator Staff Member

For those of you on here that don't know me, I spend most of my summer at carshows and detailing the engine is one of the main areas I pay close attention to. I also drive my tC everyday through all sorts of weather. Keeping it clean is the other struggle, I will not use any engine cleaners, I have found that they tend to attract more dirt, instead I use fantastik or simple green and some elbow grease. If you know what your doing, you can buy the same stuff that car dealers use when they recon vehicles, which has a silicone in it that seals/keeps out the water from electronics. Just be sure if you pressure wash, keep back well enough so that the water pressure doesn't ruin engine parts/electronics. I know a lot of people complain on how much work goes into cleaning/preping a car for carshows, I personally don't feel its really all that bad. In fact if you take the time way ahead of time and keep up on it, when the day of the show comes about, your work load will be less time comsuming. For myself to clean my car at a carshow, takes less than 2 hrs, that is if I have no interruptions or bad weather. I have never had one person ever tell me that my car is filthy or needs more work. The one main thing I do find that works is shining up the hoses and lines w/ some simple armor all. Anything that is polished/chrome gets chome polish or stainless steel cleaner, painted areas get simple polish/wax and detail spray.

[​IMG]
    Although I did find when I bought my tC, the dealerships use a lot of grease and is a pain in the arse to get off, so I spent one weekend and some WD-40,fantastik rags and a toothbrush and really got in all the nooks and cranies. If you take the time and have an eye for detail, you'll do fine and the work load itself won't be as time consuming or frustrating.