Registration is FREE and takes seconds to complete!
Club-tC Members Receive:
? Advertisement Free Browsing
? Access to all tC Tech Articles
? Ability to post questions and comments
? Use of private message system
? Ability to share images
? Their own personal profile page
? More tC information then anywhere else

Exhaust help?

Discussion in 'Exhaust' started by Shortmaxx211, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Shortmaxx211

Shortmaxx211 New Member

Im a new member to the website and new to the tuning world, I recently purchased an 07 tC and looking into doing the basic I/H/E setup for now. Just got my Injen SRI put on a couple of days ago and looking into a Cat Back setup now. I plan on running a Weapon R 4-2-1 header since its the only true 4-2-1 I have found and since it comes with an S-pipe. I really like the GReddy RS exhaust but its only an Axle-back. So what recommendations does anyone have for a mid-pipe to run with this setup? I have also heard a lot about the Moroso Spiral flow resonator would that work well with this setup to potentially reduce any rasp yet still maintain proper back pressure? Any feed back would be greatly appreciated!

2. CadenceScion

CadenceScion Moderator Staff Member

As far as mid-pipes go, you have two options, 1- custom made, or 2- Tsudo. If it was me, I would go the custom route and have the Moroso welded in. You will maintain proper back pressure w/ the mid-pipe and resonator, another suggestion would be to upgrade the secondary CAT in the mid-pipe w/ a high-flow CAT from Magnaflow or CatCo, restrictive.

3. tCjosh

tCjosh New Member

you actually have 3 options... custom, tsudo, or megan midpipe.. i would go with the megan midpipe and have that resonator welded onto the midpipe to get rid of the rasp, OR yo can get a cc incert and have that bolted into the midpipe to get rid of rasp as well and also give you a little more torque too... i bought that cc incert but never had a chance to get it installed into my midpipe but i've heard that it helps... it's what a lot of muscle car guys are doing so they can run open headers and not have all that loudness. you should look into that!

4. Shortmaxx211

Shortmaxx211 New Member

I haven't heard a lot of great things about megan so not sure i want to venture down that road as for the CC inserts i have never heard of them and might look into it. As for the high flow cat i thought about that as well, but i thought that the mid-pipe deleted the secondary cat so I was unsure about that whole setup.

5. tCjosh

tCjosh New Member

things you might have heard of the megan mid are probably of the version 1 of the midpipe they made.. since then they came out with a version 2 that corrected all the problems.. look into that cc incert man,.. i regret getting rid of the one i had but at the same time i do cause i didnt get the one that comes with a flange so i had to take it to a muffler shop to have them weld it inside.. so i never got around to it.. all midpipes get rid of the secondary cat and replace it with a resonator. i would add a highflow cat to any midpipe you choose so u dont have to deal with all the rasp, or you can just get a really long aftermarket resonator added onto the midpipe as well and have 2-3 resonators installed... lots of options here

6. CadenceScion

I second Megan's products being poor, I would look into buying a better brand that offers better quality. As far as the cc inserts go, I would go the resonator route (Moroso). The longer the resonator, the less rasp, some tC owners will weld in two of them w/ very pleasing results.

7. Shortmaxx211

Shortmaxx211 New Member

So many different options its all starting to confuse me lol, so i either choose between a high flow cat or a resonator? I cant run both or shouldnt? I still cant find really any mid-pipe options though sadly so i may have to go the custom route, how much would that cost me do you know?

8. CadenceScion

You can do both w/o an issue. A custom mid-pipe will vary pending on the shop you go to. Your best bet is to get estimates from various shops. I would go stainless steel for the piping.

9. Shortmaxx211

Shortmaxx211 New Member

Would you recommend running both or just the resonator? I figured to run the stainless steel wouldn't want to cut any corners

10. CadenceScion

I personally would recommend running both, won't hurt you one bit, well worth the investment.

11. Shortmaxx211

Shortmaxx211 New Member

Ok, thanks for all your great advice it was greatly appreciated! :)

12. CadenceScion

13. navylife59

navylife59 Super Moderator Staff Member

Well to come to the party late with the wrong wine, another all-in-one to consider would be this mid-pipe/axle-back from Agency Power http://www.agency-power.com/catalog...-32105.html?osCsid=q1hjr50drtc7ba1vub5v3bni45
    Be smart with your money and steer clear of the Megan Racing. Quality may have improved over version but it is still sub-standard offshore stuff (aka China). When you skimp on quality to save a few bucks, you pay for on the backside with problems in the sub-par quality, materials, and craftsmanship. JDM parts are coveted for their craftsmanship, quality, design, implementation, and materials. The costs reflect that.

My advice is this when you are considering parts. If you throwing parts on your car just for the shear thrill of saying that you have those parts on your car and you are tight with a budget, then cheap priced parts might just be right for you. However, if you consider which parts you upgrade based on their performance and actual use of that increased performance value, then you should look more towards the quality of the parts and not looking based on price. Please note, just because it is a brand name or a company known to be the top tier with other cars like GReddy, that does not necessarily mean that is the part to have. When I was looking for a piggyback controller back in the '05-'06 timeframe, I ended up going with the GReddy Ultimate, Partly as a special deal, but after reading the much touted reviews I choose it. Now we all know that the Ultimate actually can make tuning a nightmare since it really offer no control over the ECM.

14. Shortmaxx211

Shortmaxx211 New Member

You may have sold me on that Agency exhaust Navy, was very impressed with the tone of it, not a fan of the "rainbow" color on it but as for sound and quality it looks solid. Now is that exhaust a full cat-back and would i still need/should run a Moroso spiral flow resonator and high flow cat with that to eliminate rasp that may come from the Weapon R header?

15. CadenceScion

With a header being installed, I would suggest running at least one or two Moroso's. You'll have rasp w/ just about any header on the market, I have some as well, but its nowhere as bad as some I have heard on some Honda's, plus I am running a DC Sport Header, Invidia Down-Pipe and Tanabe Medallion Concept G Exhaust which is an axle-back.

16. navylife59

I have the cure for an overly loud or raspy exhaust if you have an aftermarket axle-back with a round tip. I have been testing it for some time now and finally settled on the final version. The sound is almost like a glass-pack muffler with minimal back pressure. My TRD S/C has a better low-end with it installed. Will posts the vids, picts, and How-To once I recover my data from my laptop. I have been out-of-pocket with my old laptop from a few years back. Thanks Dell :(

17. Shortmaxx211

Shortmaxx211 New Member

Are you running the stainless steel Moroso or just the standard one?

18. navylife59