Registration is FREE and takes seconds to complete!
Club-tC Members Receive:
? Advertisement Free Browsing
? Access to all tC Tech Articles
? Ability to post questions and comments
? Use of private message system
? Ability to share images
? Their own personal profile page
? More tC information then anywhere else

Low tire pressure light is on... nothing wrong with tires.

Discussion in 'Interior Items' started by tfs08SWtC, Sep 26, 2011.

1. tfs08SWtC

tfs08SWtC Member

Is there a way to turn this off without having to go to the dealer? I'm not about to pay them $100/hour for them to turn off a light for me. All my tires are fine, no leaks, nadda. Clearly the system is just malfunctioning. Any way to fix it myself?

2. CadenceScion

CadenceScion Moderator Staff Member

The light may turn off by holding the button inside the glove box for 5 sec's or so. If this doesn't work, you may have a faulty TMPS sensor or over inflated tires. Your tires should be inflated to 35 psi. Also, over inflated tires will trip the light as well. If your tC is under warranty, they should fix the issue at no cost to you, if not you can either deal w/ the light being on or opt to get it fixed at out of pocket expense.

3. tfs08SWtC

tfs08SWtC Member

Thanks, I'll try that. Does the car need to be running or does the key just need to be in the "on" position? Car is not under warranty anymore, been more than 3 years. Gotta love low year/low mileage warranties...

4. CadenceScion

CadenceScion Moderator Staff Member

Put the key in the ignition and turn it to the ON position.

5. RayRay

RayRay New Member

if you have aftermarket rims the light will come on becuz the rims do not match up with the sensor. i have that problem. the dealership can go in and turn it off or reset. thats ur best bet.

6. navylife59

navylife59 Super Moderator Staff Member

A large drop in the ambient temperature can cause the light to go on. Depending on the moisture content of the air inside the tire and the amount of temperature drop, the air inside the tire will condense. This will lower the volume and resultant pressure, of the air inside the tire. If the temperature swing is in a short enough time span, the sensors will pick this up as a loss in tire pressure. This is why you inflate and check tire pressures when the tire is at ambient temperature "cold". Heated up air in a hot tire will conversely give you a higher pressure reading and increased volume. This is true of all liquids and gases. Another reason to fill your gas tank when it is cold outside.