Registration is FREE and takes seconds to complete!
Club-tC Members Receive:
? Advertisement Free Browsing
? Access to all tC Tech Articles
? Ability to post questions and comments
? Use of private message system
? Ability to share images
? Their own personal profile page
? More tC information then anywhere else

my new shift knob

Discussion in 'Interior Items' started by skyarrow, Dec 5, 2011.

1. skyarrow

skyarrow Member

my new shift knob came in and i decided while installing it to make a buildalong it wasnt really hard to install it has a led light in it just a little drilling in the boot ring and that was it here is the photo buildalong

first is to drill a hole close to the base of the top boot ring and after run your wires through
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

once i did this i pulled the wire through under the dash and out towards the pedals
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

after that i made a bushing to raise the boot closer to the new knob all i used was a water hose gasket some 1/2" pipe cut to 9/16 long and then placed the top padding on it and to keep the pipe still i used electrical tape to make it fit tight on the shaft
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now that is finished its time to place the boot back on and mount the new knob the reason i made the bushing its length is if it was longer i would not be able to screw the set screws in. once its all in there is just a tiny gap not to bad il fill it in later with something
    [​IMG]

now its time to wire it up :) im using these cool mini ATC fuses with 7" pigtails man i love these things it makes wiring lights so much easier and cleaner i hate using scotch locks they eventually leak sorry for the green pic i was dark and i used my other leds to light the under dash up so i could work :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the wires on the knob is super tiny so i needed to make it larger which was easy i Flemish twisted some larger wire into the smaller wire its the same as making archery bow strings it makes a tighter crimp
    [​IMG]
    i didnt get all the pics taken it was getting dark lol so here is the rest i have this is where i hook my ground up for my lighting
    [​IMG]
    thats it for the buildalong the fuse place i used was one that is not hot when the car is off but it turns the light on when the car is on :) and here is the finished pic
    [​IMG]

2. CadenceScion

CadenceScion Moderator Staff Member

Pretty cool man! Looks like its time to give your interior a good vacuuming.

Here's mine: (NRG Carbon Fiber Weighted Shift Knob)

[​IMG]

3. skyarrow

skyarrow Member

looks sweet and yes its been raining the past few days so i havent had time to clean it up hopefully this weekend il get her cleaned washed and waxed :) so i have a question about short shifters i really like the stock height but would like the travel shorter is there some way i can do that with a after market kit and keep my height

4. CadenceScion

5. skyarrow

skyarrow Member

cool thanx now i guess i need to see which one is good i like the height i have just want the travel shorter

6. CadenceScion

7. skyarrow

skyarrow Member

ok another question is the shifter included in the powertrane warranty i still have it till i hit 75K miles and i dont want to void it

8. CadenceScion

I would say yes if the mechanical mechanism's fail.

9. skyarrow

skyarrow Member

ok then il prolly wait till my warranty is up before i change it

10. navylife59

navylife59 Super Moderator Staff Member

No need to wait. Scion is a Brand that is meant to be customized. TRD sells a STS so you should have no issues when it comes to warranty. The shifter looks great.

Here is mine; TRD shift handle, TRD STS, customized by me.
    TRD Slant Shifter1.JPG

11. Redneck4csa

Redneck4csa Premium Member

Man, I remember that 'ol pic.

12. Jbarker83

Jbarker83 New Member

That's nice set-up like the carbon fiber