Registration is FREE and takes seconds to complete!
Club-tC Members Receive:
? Advertisement Free Browsing
? Access to all tC Tech Articles
? Ability to post questions and comments
? Use of private message system
? Ability to share images
? Their own personal profile page
? More tC information then anywhere else

rear hatch release button

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RustyDude2030, Jan 14, 2011.

1. RustyDude2030

RustyDude2030 New Member

Hey all, I have an '07 tc and am having problems with my rear hatch. The rubberized "button" that releases the rear hatch isn't working all the time. The rubber itself appears to have sort of melted. I guess the best way to describe it would be that on very hot days, especially during the summer(I live in Florida), it becomes soft and gummy. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. At first myself and some friends just pulled hard on it and consequently the whole plastic piece covering the hatch release is loose. Is this a common issue? Something I could fix myself? I talked to the dealership to see if it was under warranty(of course its not) and they wanted $250-300 to fix it. Robbery.
  2. CadenceScion

CadenceScion Moderator Staff Member

I have heard this has been an issue w/ many tC owners especially in the winter. Every vehicle has its flaws regardless if its a $10,000 vehicle or a Million dollar vehicle. I would check your local junk/salvage yards, or email/call Ken @ TRDSparks.com. They carry OEM parts for a lot less than the Dealership aka (Stealership). If this problem persists, have the locking mechanism checked and the wiring for shorts/bad wiring.
  3. biggestplaya39

biggestplaya39 New Member

mine broke off before in the winter cause it didnt want to work i bought one off ebay and come to find out my warraty covered it and i was told opposite so i wasted 60$ cause the dealership fixed it but look on ebay or craigslistjust to replace that piece
  4. navylife59

navylife59 Super Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunately there has been a rash of these get "gummy". The stupid Dealerships will tell you in Louisiana that this is normal. I assure you that it is not, nor are the sticking windows on '07 Camry. You will find those idiots speak with forked tongues. Not so much from a dishonesty standpoint but from the fact that they have experienced Toyota not reimbursing items like this as a warrantied item. If your car is in the 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty, then it is covered. If your Dealership gives you a line of bull, then call the Scion Customer Care line 866-707-2466. I am calling the line now to find out if this is a problem being addressed.

My '05 tC does not have this problem though the garnish broke the 2 center attachment bolts when I lifted the hatch and thought it was unlocked. So FYI guys/gals, make sure your hatch is truly unlocked before you lift.

Just got of the phone (man that was quick). Get this, Toyota-san considers the rear trunk garnish a normal wear and tear item. That means it is not covered under any warranty folks! The phone rep did not seem to understand that the garnish is not trim but is the actual handle to lift the hatch. This should not wear out under normal use. I checked the maintenance manual. No place did it state that any handles needed had a maintenance replacement cycle; "Replace door handles at 60,000 miles or 72 months, which ever comes first".

As for the "gummy" hatch release assembly (membrane is not replaceable; sold as an assembly), the phone rep had nothing noted in their files so a case was created (for me) to investigate if this is a known issue and if it would have warranty status.
  5. CadenceScion

CadenceScion Moderator Staff Member

As Scott said make sure your doors are both unlocked. The rear hatch will not open or release if you have just one door unlocked, press your key fob twice and make sure that both doors are unlocked. Word to the wise, DO NOT use excessive force on plastic parts when its below freezing or extremely hot, more than likely something is going to break. A good comfortable temperature to take plastic parts off/remove them would be 65 degrees, preferably in a warm garage.
  6. navylife59

navylife59 Super Moderator Staff Member

Wish I had a garage.