Registration is FREE and takes seconds to complete!
Club-tC Members Receive:
? Advertisement Free Browsing
? Access to all tC Tech Articles
? Ability to post questions and comments
? Use of private message system
? Ability to share images
? Their own personal profile page
? More tC information then anywhere else

Royal Purple Review

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Redneck4csa, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Redneck4csa

Redneck4csa Premium Member

Well, I have heard about Royal Purple for a long time now and thought I would give it a chance.

At my last oil change I opted for Royal Purple 5W-20 and a Mobil-1 Extended Performance oil filter. When the oil was brand new, it was pretty good. Maybe a little pick-up, but not much. I definately noticed that it ran cooler. Now I am at about 3,000 miles with this oil and now I hate it. On cold startups, it seems to hesitate just-ever-so-slightly. Never used to do that with my Mobil-1 synthetic. My gas mileage has dropped WAY down. I used to get 27mpg average, now I get 25mpg. Now, I have 32,800 miles on it. I have not performed my 30,000 mile service yet. (money issue) The poor gas mileage may be from the lack of the service, but I doubt it would be that dramatic. I'm not sure. Anyone want to chime in on this?

In conclusion, I will never put this oil in my car again. The next time I get my oil changed, it will be with AMSOIL. It's alittle more expensive, but I can go 15,000 miles between oil changes. When I get my 30,000 mile service done, I will also be replacing all of the fluids with AMSOIL products. If you've stuck around long enough to read this far, I thank you. I just wanted to give my $0.2 on this oil.
  2. bwolfe84

bwolfe84 New Member

i run amsoil in my bike and i love it. Right now i am on Mobil 1 in my TC and it hasn't done me wrong yet
  3. Redneck4csa

Yeah, I should have just stuck with Mobil-1. I figured I'd give the purple stuff a shot, and it's a decision I now regret. I'm going to run out the life of the purple, then go to AMSOIL. Just not looking forward to paying top dollar. At least I know I'll be running the best...
  4. bwolfe84

bwolfe84 New Member

that is true. Amsoil is pretty hugh up there. I just dont like the idea of changing my oil every 15000 or using that expensive of oil every 3000-5000. Mobil 1 has worked for me. I think i might try castrol Syntech next. We will see
  5. Redneck4csa

Never tried that kind. Only Pennzoil, Mobil-1, and the purple rubbish.
  6. Vmix06

Vmix06 New Member

i have used Mobil-1 for a long time and i used castrol on my dads nissan and it works fine

and i almost thought about using royal purple to lol
  7. Redneck4csa

Stay away! Like I said, it may not be the oil, but I know I didn't have the problem until I put it in there...
  8. navylife59

navylife59 Super Moderator Staff Member

I run RP in all 3 of my cars. Not seen any problems, but it sure does not seem to last 6K miles. I will take ya'lls advice and try something different next time to see if there is a change. I run 5w-30 in my tC because of the S/C.
    I don't care much about the MPG becuase I ruin it everytime I romp on the gas!:)
  9. Redneck4csa

The next time I change the oil (here in a couple thousand miles) I will get on here and write a review seeing as how I will be switching to AMSOIL. From everything I have read and heard first hand, that is the best oil out there. It's alittle more expensive in the beginning, but you get the oil and a special filter (correct size) so that you can run up to 15,000 between oil changes. I'll be sure to let everyone know.
  10. navylife59

If you post it like a write-up review, then I can move it to the Tech Article section.
  11. Redneck4csa

What would be involved with that? I've never done anything like that.
  12. navylife59

A write-up article is very simple, just a concise, unbiased product review. You state before and after conditions on installed items. TRy to set a baseline for comparison. Other topics include overall product quality, features, packaging, materials used, usage, ease of install/setup, cost, and value. The more info you give, the better. Imperical data required so as not to seem subjective; ie "It felt like", "The Butt-dyno", "My friend said" and the like are left to individual interpretation. Pics are always welcomed but not required for all reviews.
  13. Redneck4csa

Ok. I'll be sure to keep that in mind.