Registration is FREE and takes seconds to complete!
Club-tC Members Receive:
? Advertisement Free Browsing
? Access to all tC Tech Articles
? Ability to post questions and comments
? Use of private message system
? Ability to share images
? Their own personal profile page
? More tC information then anywhere else

running a sub amp off the stock stereo?

Discussion in 'Audio and Electronics' started by mar-spec, Feb 24, 2010.

1. mar-spec

mar-spec New Member

Alright to make it short, when I bought my car in 06, I was told that I couldn't install an amp and sub into my car without replacing the cd player/head unit. I didn't care because I was planning on doing it anyways. Well my wife's TC still has the stock premium stereo with the crappy bazooka sub. I have an extra 12" sub and box sitting around, and wanted to throw it in her car. Is there a way to hook up an amp to the stock stereo. Thought that maybe someone had figured out how to do this or maybe someone sold a cable that would make this possible. Or do I just need to replace the stereo.
  2. CadenceScion

CadenceScion Moderator Staff Member

With most stock headunits, there should be a setting and a hook up in the back for a subwoofer output. The only downside is your not going to get the best wattage to really pound the sub. The stories your hearing are falsde and you can run a subwoofer off of a stock headunit, it just has to be hooked up and done correctly. I ended up replacing my stock Scion headunit with an indash JVC headunit, because the stock units output/wattage isn't all the great. If it was me, I would buy a good name brand aftermarket flip out/indash headunit. If money is an issue, get in touch with a professional stereo installer or give Circuit City or Best Buy a call and have them hook up your sound system.
  3. mar-spec

mar-spec New Member

3 years ago it was actually Bestbuy that told me I couldn't run an amp off a stock head unit because the Tc's stereo had no out puts for it. So i went home and looked at it (the one that came from my car) and sure enough it had no connector that I had ever seen, and I've done a few stereo installs myself for friends , the wife, and on my own car. Just never done an amp install, so the only thing I've never done is run the power cables through the firewall and to the battery. The first stereo that got installed into the Tc was done by Bestbuy because I honestly thought it would be harder to install on a brand new car.....haha it turned out that I was wrong.
    So again how, the amp in my car is connected by patch cables which is incredibly easy to work with. What is used on the scion stock unit, as there are no patch cable outputs.
    jeffquenzer likes this.
  4. CadenceScion

By the sound of what what you were told, you'd be better off buying an aftermarket headunit. Like I said before, I didn't have my stock headunit hooked up to an amp or sound system. How Scion does their headunits and are able to run a stock subwoofer is beyond me. I only know how to install and hook up aftermarket setups, plus I have spent so much time with my buddy from Team Imagination In Motion who has done so many installs on so many different vehicles and helped me with mine as well.

If your looking for a headunit, sound system, HID's or anything for your tC, send my buddy Jason Rozelle an email, iimcustom@yahoo.com. He is a professional installer and also owns his own business as I said he'll know more than me.
    jeffquenzer likes this.
  5. mar-spec

mar-spec New Member

I'll have to send him an email, and see what he says, thanks for the help.:driving:
  6. CadenceScion

Your more than welcome. I've known Jason for 8 yrs now and does some insane work and really knows his stuff. Anything you need for your ride just inquire with him.
  7. detox

detox New Member

stock stereo problem

Its possible to install amp and sub to factory stereo. I have iit in my xb. And bumps really loud. You nee to go buy a line out. Run the line out wires and tap it to 1 of your rear speaker wires. Talking about rca line out wires. Just run your power cable and ground as your were to hook up the same way. Remote wire should be in 1 of the empty slots on connector next to blue wire. Any questions? Email me at kouxiong@gmail.com