Registration is FREE and takes seconds to complete!
Club-tC Members Receive:
? Advertisement Free Browsing
? Access to all tC Tech Articles
? Ability to post questions and comments
? Use of private message system
? Ability to share images
? Their own personal profile page
? More tC information then anywhere else

Window tint

Discussion in 'Appearance & Detailing' started by 08scion, Apr 29, 2009.

1. 08scion

08scion Member

I tried to tint my windows before and i failed miserably. I need some help. How do i cut it just right? it always manage to screw up. Is there a more efficent way of doing it? im willing to spend the time if it doesn't include me killing myself out of anger and desperation. Oh and what do i do about the rear windshield? Thats such a big area that roll's of tint cant cover. What shalst i do about such problems? thank you for the help.

2. cribbs-tC

cribbs-tC Member

Professional tint job ftw!

3. Redneck4csa

Redneck4csa Premium Member

Yeah, my vote is to just get it done at a shop somewhere.

4. 08scion

08scion Member

thats probably what i'll end up doing. Its just a lot of money for something i could do myself. and in todays economy, money is tight... really tight.

5. Nathanr.6168

Nathanr.6168 Member

yea, its cheaper to DIY but if you mess up 5 times to get it right, it becomes more expensive + you wasted your time :(

6. 08scion

08scion Member

good point. i didn't think about that as much. You're prolly right. thanks

7. phil_08scion

phil_08scion New Member

is it me or we have a bit of A stock tint? my last car didnt have any and i got 22% and it was perfect, but im afraid to put 22% back on it, because i was told bhy many police officers that i was pushing it with 22%.

8. Redneck4csa

Redneck4csa Premium Member

We have a small amount of tint. I'm not sure on the percentage though

9. aarias298

aarias298 Member

Hey guys, I have yet to tint my 08 tc...I live in new york state...i know the law says that 70% of light needs to be able to go through your tints...but what's the point of that right?...i wanted your feedback on how dark or light i should go...im looking for something that isn't to dark neither to light. Maybe something that you can see a slight shadow through the window. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks a lot.

10. punk2m1d

punk2m1d Member

A lot of people ask about legality of the tint in their state. Here's a site that laws it all out. My state, OR, can site out of state cars for their tint. lol wtf?

Tint Laws

NM is the most laid back state in regards to tint.

Most windows these days have some sort of tint already on them, so for states like CA and NY, you really cant tint the front at all. If you do it'd only be a very light shade darker, and thus, a waste of money. IMO.

11. navylife59

navylife59 Super Moderator Staff Member

Here in Southern LA (Louisiana), the unmarked cop cars have 360 dark limo tint. There are alot of ex-unmarked cars bought at auction that have retained this or reapplied the tint. There are also several tuner cars doing the same. Doesn't seem to be much an issue although it is against the code.

I could see putting a clear UV protection film on the glass. The tC already has this in the glass, as well as, some other Toyotas. I am for the Nascar style laminate plys that can be easily peeled off to provide clear vision and to protect the Lexan window.

12. aarias298

aarias298 Member

Hey guys, I guess i never updated my decision on window tints. I eventually got 20% all around this past summer on my TC. They looked great. The reason i said looked is that two days ago i got pulled over in New Rochelle (Westchester County, NY) for my tints. I deliver pizza and ive been at red light were cops are right next to me and grilled me and just continued to drive as soon as the light turned green. So id like to think that this cop was really bored and had nothing to do if he had to pop a u-turn to get me. Well with that said i got the two front window tint removed the same day and will go fight the ticket and get it dismissed. Now that the fronts are completely see threw i feel naked, i was considering getting the fronts re-done but this time with 35%. Has anyone have this combination 35% on the front windows and 20% on the back? Let me know what you guys think.

13. CadenceScion

CadenceScion Moderator Staff Member

I have a 2006 Scion tC (Azure Pearl) and I have window tint, but mine is 18% LLumar all around and a 5% LLumar visor strip. I have honestly had no issues with the cops harassing me about my tint. One trick you can try is driving with your windows down at least half way, although NYS DOT Law states that 20% or more of light must past through in order for it to be legal. A cop can ticket you all he wants, but as far as I am concerned, if he doesn't have a tint meter to prove that your tint is illegal, then the ticket shouldn't hold water. I have seen several tC's and other vehicles in my area (Broome County) that have darker tint than myself and they don't seem to be to concerned with their tint. You'll get cops that are very ticket happy and especially with window tint and exhaust. Others could care less as long as your obeying the rules and your vehicle is legit.

14. Flint Mica tC

Flint Mica tC Member

Pro job is best way I'd say, they even gave me a discount cause they said tC's are easy to do.

15. navylife59

navylife59 Super Moderator Staff Member

You can always run white LEDs to keep your interior illuminated at night. That should give the illusion that your tint is not as dark as it is. If they can't see you, they will pull you over. If they can see you, they are more likely to seek bigger fish to fry. Some towns operate on ticket quotas for their traffic officers. Custom vehicles are gold mines for offensives so if you (officer) had not met that quota, you are likely going to get your minimums.

Here in New Orleans, the cops drive around in unmarked cars with limo tint all around, including the complete windshield. There are people that buy used police interceptor units or Lincoln Towncars/ Caprice Classics and tint them all around like the bonified unmarked cars. You literally can't tell the difference unless you have a keen eye at close range. That can be dangerous as the crooks pull unsuspected motorists over. Police here seem to ignore these illegally black-out vehicles but they will get you for having 20% where it is supposed to be 35%.